Embedded LINUX in a Soft Real-Time Task:
The Canadian Geological Survey Internet Seismometer
• Links: Seismology
• Links: Embedded
Systems and LINUX
The new strong motion seismic network in Southwest
British Columbia, Canada
Proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake
Vol. 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering,
Real-time ground motion
from the new strong motion seismic network in British Columbia, Canada
First European Conference on
Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Geneva
- J.R. Evans.
The design and performance of a low-cost strong-motion sensor using the
ics-3028 micromachined accelerometer.
Technical report, U.S. Geol. Surv., 1998.
CUSP: Canadian urban seismology program.
Draft Proposal, August 2000.
National Earthquake Hazards Program, Geol. Surv. of Canada.
- Egill Hauksson, Patrick Small, Katrin Hafner, Robert Busby,
Robert Clayton, James Goltz, Tome Heaton, Kate Hutton, Hiroo Kanamori,
Jascha Polet, Doug Given, Lucile M. Jones, and David Wald.
Southern california seismic network: Caltech/usgs element of trinet
Seism. Res. Lett., 72(6):690 - 704, 2001.
- Hiroo Kanamori, Philip Maechling, and Egil Hauksson.
Continuous monitoring of ground-motion parameters.
Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 89(1):311-316, 1999.
Continuous (RT) computation of local magnitude (wood anderson response)
acceleration, velocity and displacement.
- T. Katayama, N. Sato, and K. Saito.
Si-sensor for the identification of destructive ground motion.
In Proceedings, Ninth World Conference on Earthquake Engineering,
volume VII, pages 667-672, August Tokyo-Kyoto, 1988.
- S. Kinoshita.
Kyoshin net (k-net).
Seism. Res. Lett., 1998.
- P.A. Monahan, V.M. Levson, P.Henderson, and A. Sy.
Geoscience map 1998-6; amplification of ground motion and liquefaction
hazard map of greater victoria: Report and expanded legend.
Technical report, British Columbia Geol. Surv., 1998.
- I. Muramatsu, T Sasatani, and I.Yokoi.
Velocity-type strong-motion seismometer using a coupled pendulum:
Design and performance.
Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 2001.
- L. Reiter.
Earthquake Hazard Analysis.
Coumbia University Press, N.Y., 1991.
- T. Teng, Tzay-Chyn Shin Ludan Wu, Yi-Ben Tsai, and William
H. K. Lee.
One minute after: Strong-motion map, effective epicenter, and effective
Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 87(5):1209-1219, 1997.
- Y. Wu, W.H.K. Lee, C. Chen, T. Shin, T. Teng, and Y.Tsai.
Performance of the taiwan rapid earthquake information release system
(rtd) during the 1999 chi-chi (taiwan) earthquake.
Seism. Res. Lett., 2000.
Links: Embedded Systems and
- General information about LINUX is at http://www.linux.org
- A good overview over pre-cooked embedded LINUX systems as
well as pointers to tools to ``roll your own'' is under http://www.embedded-linux.org.
- An extremely useful software package which can be found in
almost any small LINUX systems is the busybox http://www.busybox.net.
- A good and pretty straight forward small LINUX system
designed for network analysis and troubleshooting is: http://trinux.sourceforge.net.
The Trinux boot and start-up scheme is built exclusively on shell
scripts which can serve as an excellent tutorial on how to get things
up and running.
- The Open-Source secure shell project is at home under http://www.openssh.com.
- The home-page of Open-Source pureFTP project is http://www.pureftpd.org.